A bid for £16m to invest in Kimberley, as part of the Government’s Levelling Up Fund, has been submitted.
The bid has been produced by Broxtowe Borough Council in consultation with local residents, groups and Kimberley Parish Council.
If successful, the funding would be used to boost the town through:
A Town Centre Improvement Project
- In place of the existing Parish Hall on Newdigate Street, a new Business and Community Hub will be constructed. This will offer co-working and office space for start-ups and small businesses, as well as improved space for community activities on the ground floor.
- Small Business Grants will also be made available to businesses in Kimberley to improve the feel and appearance of the town and the functionality of these businesses.
- Lighting equipment will be purchased to create light displays and VR attractions similar to that on Valentine’s Day last year, to encourage events-based attractions in Kimberley and drive visitor footfall.
Digby Street Industrial Units and Swingate Farm sports facilities
- The current football pitch at Digby Street will be redeveloped into 20 new industrial units to allow new businesses to move into Kimberley, driving job creation and economic growth.
- A new sports facility at Swingate Farm will be developed in its place, with a new football and cricket pitch to support the outstanding Kimberley sports teams.
Cycle Path Network and Bennerley Viaduct Eastern Ramp
- A new active travel route would link up Kimberley with Eastwood, Giltbrook, Phoenix Park Tram Stop and Bennerley Viaduct.
- This project will also fund the construction of an accessible Eastern Ramp at Bennerley Viaduct, a Grade 2* listed railway viaduct of great historical and cultural significance and important tourist attraction.
- These routes would allow more people to cycle and walk to commute to work and for leisure purposes and would encourage more visitors to the area. It would also support reducing carbon emissions and healthier lifestyle choices.
Broxtowe MP, Darren Henry is backing the bid. He said: “From the moment that the Government announced the Levelling Up Scheme I was clear that there should be a bid centred on Kimberley to bring extra investment into the town. I am excited about the projects that have been proposed and the prospect of providing much needed investment into the town.”
Councillor Milan Radulovic MBE, leader of the Council, said: “The Council have worked closely with the MP and local groups and organisations to submit, what I believe is a very strong case for this substantial funding for the town.
“With its proximity to the M1 and existing infrastructure, Kimberley has so much potential and if we are successful, it will benefit from the biggest investment it has experienced in years.
“This, together with our other investment projects in Beeston, Stapleford and the Levelling Up Bid we are also submitting for Eastwood will boost the whole Borough of Broxtowe for generations to come.”
Kimberley’s proposal will now be reviewed by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities and approval is expected in the autumn.