Northampton Town Chairman Kelvin Thomas has said that the club will use the Government’s job retention scheme and have furloughed a number of employees, but that the club will top up their salaries to ensure they are all paid in full.
The job retention programme is in place to support employees whose jobs have been severely affected by the coronavirus outbreak for the next two months.
A number of clubs from the Premier League and through the EFL have used the scheme that pays 80 per cent of an employee’s salary up to £2,500, however the Cobblers have vowed to top up the remaining 20 per cent to ensure all staff remain financially unaffected by the economic fallout from COVID-19.
“We are all in an unprecedented and difficult position and everyone is dealing with things as best they can,” said the Cobblers Chairman.
“Our thoughts go out to the people who are really suffering with this in terms of their health and as a club we are just doing all we can to help in whatever way we can. From our view, we are working to protect the club, the staff and to make sure we are ready whenever football can resume. For now though, it is all about helping the community through this period as much as we can.
“The Government’s assistance programme will certainly help. We have made a commitment to all staff and players and we will ensure their salaries are not affected by this in the short term. We will top up their salaries to make sure that is the case. We are taking part in the Government’s job retention scheme because that is what it is there for, to protect businesses and to protect jobs.
“From a football club point of view, financially this is a very tough time. There is no income and this is also a time when season tickets go on sale and that income isn’t coming in either so there are a lot of clubs who were expecting some cashflow to come in that isn’t coming in.”