Nottinghamshire fireworks retailers can expect inspections this week

fireworks
Fireworks

Nottinghamshire shops are being inspected this week in the run-up to Bonfire Night to make sure their fireworks for sale are stored and sold safely.

A selection of premises that sell fireworks will be inspected by Nottinghamshire County Council Trading Standards officers, who will be focussing on smaller independent shops and premises where there have been issues identified on previous inspections.

All shops selling fireworks are required to meet the Explosives Regulations 2014 relating to the storage and sale of fireworks.

Officers will be checking that fireworks are being stored safely and away from combustible materials and other potential sources of ignition, and ensuring traders understand the current age restrictions on the sale of fireworks and sparklers.

Residents are also being encouraged to follow the instructions for storing and using fireworks correctly, and checking they are buying ‘Category 2’ fireworks designed for gardens rather than ‘Category 3’ made for organised displays.

Councillor John Handley, Vice-Chairman of the County Council’s Communities and Place Committee, said: “Our Trading Standards officers are ensuring Bonfire Night goes off with a bang safely by checking that shops are not selling fireworks to underage customers and making sure they are storing them correctly.

“The public’s health and safety is paramount so it’s vital that shops take the necessary precautions when storing large amounts of fireworks.”

In addition, Trading Standards has these top tips to make sure residents celebrate Hallowe’en safely:

• buy Hallowe’en costumes from a reputable retailer
• check that the manufacturer’s name and address is included and a CE mark is displayed on the costume label
• homemade costumes may be made from materials that do not meet fire safety testing standards and therefore could ignite easily and burn quicker
• costumes that have a CE mark and meet the required toy safety standards can still catch fire, so use battery-operated lights instead of candles to reduce the risk.